Looking to partner with a dietitian? Use the questions below to find our your nutrition benefits.
How to check with your insurance for nutrition benefits:
- Call member services, the number should be on the back of your insurance card. Ask “Does my plan cover in-network outpatient nutrition counseling?” Y/N
- Ask “Does my plan cover codes: 97802 and 97803?” Y/N
If yes, ask how many sessions are allowed with which code?
3. Ask “Does my plan cover 99205 and 99215?” Y/N
4. Does my plan cover S9470? Y/N
5. Does my plan cover 99401, 99402, 99403 or 99404? Y/N
If yes, how many sessions are allowed with which code?
6. Does my plan cover visits that are “medically necessary”? (F50.02)* Y/N
7. Does my plan cover visits that are preventive services? (code: Z71.3)* Y/N
8. Do I have a deductible to meet? Y/N
9. If yes, how much is my deductible?_________
10. How much of the deductible have I met so far?____________
11. Do I have a copay for outpatient nutrition counseling (97802, 97803, 99205 and 99215)? Y/N If yes, how much? __________
12. Do I need a physician referral or prior authorization? Y/N __________
13. If the provider is out of network, is there a possibility of reimbursement?Y/N
If yes, ask for your specific out of network benefits following the questions above.
(CCFC can provide a superbill for you to submit for insurance reimbursement if so)____________________________________________________________
14. Ask specifically if your insurance would cover a single case agreement to work with the provider out of network? Ask what is the process for formally requesting a single case agreement? _________________________________________________________
15. Do you have an FSA/HSA? If yes, can you use those accounts to pay for dietician visits?
Record the representative’s name and a reference # when checking your benefits.
Representative’s name___________ Call Reference #____________