What is a DBT Skills Class?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a type of therapy that helps people learn skills to manage their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. DBT skills classes are typically held in a group setting, and they are led by trained facilitators. It is a class setting where the focus is on learning new skills and practicing in the moment. Homework is assigned and reviewed!
What Happens in a DBT Skills Class?
Each DBT skills class typically covers one or two skills. The therapist will begin by teaching the group about the skill, and then they will lead the group in practicing the skill. The class is not focused on processing personal issues or discussing risky behaviors-it is focused on learning.
What Skills Are Taught in DBT?
There are four main skill modules in DBT:
- Mindfulness skills: These skills help people learn to pay attention to the present moment without judgment. Activities to focus on both the internal and external world are practiced each session. You will probably like some more than others!
- Emotion regulation skills: These skills help people learn to manage their emotions in a healthy way.
- Interpersonal effectiveness skills: These skills help people learn to communicate their needs in a clear and assertive way.
- Distress tolerance skills: These skills help people cope with difficult emotions and situations.
What Are the Benefits of Attending a DBT Skills Class?
There are many benefits to attending a DBT skills class. Some of the benefits include:
- Learning skills to manage your emotions, thoughts, and behaviors
- Developing a stronger sense of self-awareness
- Improving your relationships with others
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Increasing your overall well-being
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about DBT skills classes:
- The classes are typically held once a week for 60-90 minutes.
- The classes are confidential, and all participants are expected to respect the privacy of others.
- The classes can be challenging, but they are also very rewarding.
- If you are struggling with emotional dysregulation, DBT skills classes can be a valuable tool for helping you manage your symptoms.
Interested in learning more about our DBT skills classes? We offer skill classes for teens, parents, and adults. Set up a free interest call with our group coordinator here to learn more.