Last week, I turned forty. This is a major milestone to some people, and it had got me thinking and reflecting on my life up to now. During a relaxing night away, (a wonderful birthday gift from my husband), I was reflecting on all the things I’ve learned in my 40 years on this Earth. Some of them I even wish I could go back in time to share with my younger self, it might have helped reduce some tears and heartache! Since I can’t go back in time, I thought I’d share them on the blog for everyone to enjoy.
Here are the 40 lessons after turning forty that I’ve learned. I hope you take something away from these too, no matter your age.
1. Love yourself first, and true love will follow.
2. Know your boundaries and hold firm to them.
3. Do what you love, what fills you up, even if it means sacrificing.
4. Apologize first, being “right” doesn’t matter.
5. Spend time outdoors as often as you can!
6. Read everyday!!
7. Knowledge really is power-the more you know…
8. Time is the most precious thing to your child.
9. Play with your kids- they won’t remember the dishes or the laundry but they will treasure the memories.
10. Give without expecting in return.
11. Live in the moment and you will find peace.
12. Stop comparing-the grass really isn’t greener over there.
13. Say thank you, even for the little things.
14. Exercise is the best medicine. Its better than any antidepressant or antianxiety pill.
15. Love fiercely- say it every chance you get to those you love.
16. Set goals and then set more. Challenge yourself.
17. Spend the money for the wedding video- even if you scrimp somewhere else.
18. Traveling is always worth it, even with kids, even when its hard.
19. Check off that bucket list today – tomorrow is not promised.
20. Experiences really matter more than things.
21. Take pictures!! You will be glad you have them.
22. Take risks-you’ll never know if you don’t try.
23. Keep growing, as humans we are never complete.
24. Have 3 outfits you feel great in -at all times.
25. Open your mind to differences – you will meet interesting people.
26. Make new friends but keep the old (Girl Scouts were right!!)
27. Having people who “knew you when” and love you still is an amazing gift.
28. Dig in the dirt, grow things, be awed by nature.
29. Coffee and chocolate are life.
30. The “good guy” makes a great husband
31. Pay attention to what makes people happy – it will make you a good gift giver.
32. Stay positive – life is full of bumps and curves but things usually turn around.
33. Listen to your feelings – they are trying to guide you.
34. If you try to stuff your feelings, they will come out when you don’t expect it!!
35. People like vulnerability – it makes you seem human and relatable.
36. Listening more than you talk is the recipe for friendship
37. Ask for help & accept it when its offered.
38. Make choices that are best for YOUR family – not what others think is best.
39. Going to therapy is a good decision-anytime.
40. Pick a partner that makes you the best version of yourself.
Any lessons you’ve learned along the way? Share in the comments below.